Prenatal is a Latin word. “Pre” refers to before, and “Natal” refers to birth. In countries like the United Kingdom and Australia word, “Antenatal” is used instead of Prenatal.
The term Antenatal relates to the condition in which the woman is given medical assistance/ ministration before giving birth to a baby.
The philosophy behind putting up this content is awareness of the mothers to be, of these terms and the conditions they are likely to experience on the journey of giving birth to a baby.
Prenatal development stages:
Development of prenatal process is characterized in three stages which are discussed below.
This is the most initial stage of development until 2 weeks. This stage starts when the sperm fertilizes an egg, and a zygote comes into existence. A zygote Is a one-cell structure that further replicates, leading to the embryonic stage.
In this stage of the embryo starts developing, after which the embryo is then referred to as a fetus. This stage refers to 8 weeks of pregnancy.
The remaining prenatal development occurs in the fetal stage, which refers to 9 weeks of pregnancy until the birth occurs.
What first timers should do?
- Consult an obstetrician from the beginning.
- For the formation of blood cells, a balanced intake of folic acid must be observed.
- Focus on consuming homemade and organic food because they are enriched with minerals and necessary vitamins.
- Food that contains iron, calcium, and folic acid must be incorporated into the diet. As per the studies and research, In most women of age nineteen and above who are pregnant, the calcium level must be 1000 mg. Calcium can be obtained by increasing the intake of green vegetables (broccoli, spinach), beans as they are rich in proteins and calcium, and dry fruits like almonds and pistachio.
- Do physical stretching and exercise as prescribed by the obstetrician.
What first time parents should not do?
- Intake of drugs must be prohibited.
- No alcohol usage.
- Smoking tobacco will expose the fetus to nicotine. It refrains the blood to travel to the fetus. Thus, it can result in miscarriage. Tobacco must be avoided.
- Depression and stress can also lead to intense results such as miscarriages, illness.
- Do not bend yourself or sit on a floor. Avoid using a hot tub or sauna.
- Restrict intake of raw meat and unpasteurized milk.
Learn More About Babies